We’ve become so dependent on electricity that we often take it for granted. As long as it’s working, we tend not to think about it. Many have an ‘if it’s not broke, don’t fix it’ mentality, and that can be dangerous.
Many homes have electrical systems that were designed decades ago. But now, our ever-expanding electrical needs support much more powerful home appliances, security systems, HD entertainment and Internet. Many of these older systems simply do not have the capacity to properly handle all this extra power.
Unless your home was built just recently, chances are your electrical panels or components may be outdated or in danger of overloading.
Whether you’re a homeowner, a business owner or renter, be on the lookout for key electronic warning flags, such as:
- Flickering Lights – this could be caused by an electrical short or improper grounding.
- Dead Electrical Sockets – often a sign that a circuit has been cut or isn’t grounded correctly.
- Too Few Outlets – if you have more gadgets to plug in than you have outlets, you should consider having new outlets installed. Installing multiple power strips or extension cords, especially ‘daisy-chaining’ them can create a real safety hazard.
- Outdated Two-Prong Outlets – most of today’s appliances require a modern three-pronged outlet, and there’s a reason – it keeps electricity grounded and is much safer.
- Frequently Tripping Breakers – never replace a fuse or breaker with a higher-amp component – if a circuit breaker continually trips, have it checked by a professional.
At KBM Electric, we offer free home safety inspections – no strings attached. Just call us, and we’ll come check out your system. Home wiring is our specialty, and we will never ‘up-sell’ or recommend things you don’t need.
We can fully-document your system and we guarantee our work to deliver dependable, safe and code compliant electrical systems.